Kindred Spirit Mommy has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://kindredspiritmommy.com
and update your bookmarks.

We've moved! Please change your bookmarks to www.kindredspiritmommy.com.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Bees, Irrational Fears, and ... My Stinging Wit



I know, I know - pollen, flowers, blah blah blah. But really, why the stingers? Why stingers that can hurt humans? *huff*

I don't like bees. (You probably had that figured out by now.) In fact, they're the one thing I have an irrational fear over that drives me to near hyperventilation and the need to FLEE. Most of the time I can overcome the temptation to flip out publicly, but inside? Inside I'm flipping out. lol Two recent incidents: Once in Walmart I grabbed the shopping cart and felt something on my hand - I looked down and a bee fell off of my hand onto the ground in the store. I did a little dance, stomped on the bee, grabbed my husband... it's a good thing nobody knows us in that town. ;-) The next incident? There was a wasp in the car - I had just put my daughter in her car seat and went to get in and there was the wasp hoving in the car... AIIEEEE! I was getting pretty upset, wondering what I was going to do and how I was going to get that thing out of there. Thankfully it landed on the floorboard and I was able to kill it. All the drive home I was praying that there were no other wasps in the car because I didn't know what I would do...

The Story

What brought this on (I know you're dying to find out) was an incident from my childhood. We were a big outdoors kind of family. We were always hiking, exploring, camping. I remember playing ball with my dad and sister at our campsite when I was about 10 years old. The ball rolled underneath a picnic table and I went after it, of course. Next thing I know there are bees everywhere and I'm being stung repeatedly. Now this was NOT a "My Girl" incident (why that movie stays in my mind I don't know, lol) or a horror-movie-like incident in which I was covered in bees from head to toe - it must have been a small-ish nest. Still, the effect was immediate and terrifying. I had bees (wasps, hornets, whatever they were) clinging to my pants and shirt and stinging repeatedly. Apparently I wasn't lucky enough to get the kind that die after stinging once. I remember running into our camper and my mom getting my clothes off super fast (thanks, mom!) to get the bees off of me. *shudder* And boy those stings hurt for a long time!


So now you know the reasoning behind my fear... when I hear a buzz I glance around nervously. When I see a bee I give it a wide berth and if it hovers too close I start a crazy swatting motion with my arms and leap to safety. Yeah, I know swatting isn't the smartest thing to do but it's like my body has a mind of its own...

Perhaps this is why I don't like the color yellow.

(Just writing this post and thinking of bees has my skin crawling, LOL)

Yeah, I don't know what my stinging wit has to do with this post. It just sounded good at the time. ;-)


♥ Share Your Thoughts

Got any good bee stories?

What's your irrational fear? Please tell me I'm not alone...



Thank you sooo much for sharing this post! :-)

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 kindred spirits expressed their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Eeek I'd have a fear also! I have a huge fear for snakes. My brother used to go pick them up when I was about 8 and chase me around. I hate them. I will never go near them. They are gross, and freak me right out!

kyooty said...

We spray a lot of Bee and Wasp Killer around our house. My husband bleaches our overhang so they don't decide to move in. I like flowers but I'll gladly pave the whole yard to avoid the stingers. I only got stung once. I stepped on a bee.

Elizabeth said...

I was on a Girl Scouts Camping Trip one year. A few of us were sitting in our cabin after arriving and then the bees started multiplying and stinging. We all ran out of there and they chased! There was a nest under the stairs leading into the cabin. I ended up being stung about 6 times. I hate bees, but try not to freak out and pass my fear onto the boys.

I had a spider incident the other day driving. I'm driving along and there is a spider crawling across the sun visor, Eeek! I debated smashing it with the napkin in my hand, but what if I missed and it fell on my lap?! I pulled over and snuck under the spider now on my door. After a show that must have been hilarious to the couple watching outside the grill I got it and it was out of the car.

Emily said...

Yikes...yes, I'd say your fear of bees is totally justified! I'm with you...not a fan of bees or any bugs really. Although roaches are just the absolute worst...I'm terrified of them. in fact, it was scary for me to just type the word!

Sky said...

I don't have a fear of them...rather I am scared crazynuts of spiders!

My daughters room is in a bee theme...all based around a 1908 print I bought entitled "Stung". :)

Anonymous said...

Bees terrify me. I freak out in public. It's partially why sunflowers scare me, they're covered in bees. I was stung on the head at 4 and had a bump grow over the stinger. I think I finally get it removed this year. I've always been too scared to do it because it sounds like a painful thing but I figure since I've endured labor and now a hysterectomy, I can handle that!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
ss_blog_claim=aad592068f63fa90a45f66cc3106d004